Monday, November 17, 2008

Broken Cappilaries On Stomach

time to "Wall-e"


The other night I saw "Wall-e . That movie I liked for different reasons, some more immediate and mundane as the identification, other than absurd, dealing with the usual madness that only I can do about things. One of these has to do with the time of that film.
I find that the sense of time " Wall-e" is wonderful.
The film is set in the future: the Earth, at a time not far from our present, it is evacuated from flooded waste. All the inhabitants move a spaceship and go to live in space. On Earth are the remnants of our civilization and heaps on heaps of waste for disposal. The original plan that provides some robots handle it all so that land can return home within five years. However after a while 'time the Earth is declared uninhabitable, and the project abandoned. On a desert planet, however, the robot is left on and continues to do its work alone, century after century . His name is WALL-E, a robot and is clumsy, shy and curious, which saves heaps of waste things that seem interesting. Leaving aside
now the rest of the story, although I liked and made me cry for many reasons, said the time was the thing that struck me the most. Because the music is all old songs, like "The Way en rose", or taken from musicals of the '50s. The setting is completely fiction, but the soundtrack belongs to our past, as most of the items that Wall-e collects, including an audiotape cite as an example. Some objects are more modern, but there's nothing that really characterizes our present, such as a phone or a CD.
Ok, it's just my trip, but the thing that made me mad with that film is totally missing the present. And 'as if whoever wrote the story had decided to make the point at which people leave Earth, and therefore it is not exactly an imaginary future, but an alternate present. In the world of "Wall-e " the Earth is already full of waste and we are there we went.

do not know why I like the idea of seeing so much lacking in this film, but I find it oddly reassuring. The past is a rich and sad memories, the future of aseptic filled with hope at the beginning but in the end, and this ... simply not there.
The credits then are a show ... told through the images as humanity begins anew on Earth from a single plant, and does so with drawings that imitate the styles of various eras. There is that stylized prehistory, then the Egyptian hieroglyphs, and so on, until Van Gogh's where it stops, perhaps, I think, not to get the horror of the twentieth century with the wars , and that-again-missing.
God only knows why I lose my mind for these things, in any case the time to " Wall-e" remains for me a wonderful magic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment